The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) have revealed details of planned attacks through a security report; stating that the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), and Boko Haram terrorist groups are looking to orchestrate massive attacks in the North-West, North-Central and South-West regions of Nigeria.

First reported on Tuesday, a preceding memo was issued to alert security agencies on the fresh plans uncovered by NSCDC. However Shola Odumosu, a Spokesman of the Corporation, dissociated the NSCDC from the memo.

A source who pleaded anonymity revealed that security agencies were told not to disclose the recent findings. States targeted by both terrorist groups are Lagos, Kaduna, Kogi, Katsina, Zamfara; as well as the  Federal Capital Territory.

The intelligence report was addressed to state commands of the NSCDC and was dated 25 July, 2022. Signed by the Deputy Commandant-General in charge of Operations, DD Mungadi, the report is titled as ‘Re: Heightened plots by terrorists to stage coordinated attacks in parts of the country,’

‘We have received credible intelligence that Boko-Haram and the ISWAP terrorist groups have mobilised fighters and high-calibre weapons, particularly Rocket-Propelled Grenade  Launchers, Anti-Aircraft guns and General Purpose Machine Guns which they intend to deploy for the offensive in Katsina State.

‘In another development, two separate bandits groups are plotting coordinated attacks on North-West, North-Central and South-West (Katsina, Zamfara, Kaduna, Kogi, FCT and Lagos), respectively. Consequently, the Commandant-General has directed you scale up deployment in all strategic places, including schools, worship centres and critical national assets in your respective states to checkmate any possible threats by these criminal elements. Please treat as urgent,’ it read.

The report confirmed earlier concerns that ISWAP and Boko Haram terrorist groups have acquired high caliber weapons to perpetrate deadly crimes across the country.

In response, security agencies have deployed troops and measures to beef up security in the nation. Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, Guards Brigade, Capt Godfrey Abakpa, and other security agencies confirmed troops deployment in the Federal Capital Territory.

Few days after threats made by the Kaduna-Abuja passengers’ abductors to kidnap President Buhari, three Presidential Guards were reported to have been killed during an ambush by terrorists around the Kubwa-Bwari Road, near Abuja, while on routine patrol.

Although the Presidential Guards Brigade, Captain Godfrey Abakpa, had said in his Monday statement that three of the soldiers were wounded and hospitalised, while the attack was repelled by his men, THISDAY, however, gathered that two army captains and one soldier were killed during the attack.

A competent source said the remains of the soldiers had been taken to the Brigade of Guards medical facility.

“Two captains and a soldier were killed in that unfortunate encounter. They paid the supreme price. I was with one of them last week. I am in mourning presently,” a military source said.

In another development, bandits had attacked communities in Katsina, the home state of the Nigerian President, kidnapping several locals on Tuesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.