It was all gloomy in Morocco after the Palace announced the death of young Rayan.

The five-year-old boy who plunged into a well was pronounced dead after four days of rescue efforts and strategies to save him.

During the week, Rayan had fallen into the narrow opening of a well – about 32 meters (104ft), with a rescue operation being carried out immediately after the unfortunate plunge.

The painstaking effort had been doused by fears of a landslide, with a hole being dug close to the occlusion in a bid to find a path to him.

At the time, rescuers had failed to give any update on the condition of the boy, only to pronounce him dead after he was brought out.

A royal statement was issued on Saturday night by the palace to confirm Rayan’s demise and put the Moroccan community in a state of mourning.

“Following the tragic accident which cost the life of the child Rayan Oram, His Majesty King Mohammed VI called the parents of the boy who died after falling down the well.

The king expresses his deepest condolences and sincere compassion,” the statement read.

Prior to his death, rescuers had tried to get oxygen, food and water to Rayan, but there was no way to determine if he received it. The difficulty faced during the operation was the sandy and rocky soils mixture which made opening the water well’s shaft a dangerous move.

Bulldozers were employed to make a big trench close to the well to enable diggers channel a horizontal path towards Rayan.

After the news broke of the trapped boy, the people of the community had taken to Twitter to start #SaveRayan. The hashtag trended beyond the country, with many expressing positivity on the outcome. Faithfuls have now sent in their tributes to his family using the same hashtag.

Hundreds of people also gathered at the scene singing religious songs, with several others praying all through the rescue operation. Camps were also seen close to the site.

In 2019, a similar accident had occurred, after a two-year-old boy fell into a borehole close to the city of Malaga, in Spain.

The toddler was also pronounced dead shortly after.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.